Strandlines

The Old Watch House and Roman Bath in Strand Lane

The Old Watch House and Roman Bath in Strand Lane, by Michael Trapp

The Old Watch House and Roman Bath in Strand Lane, by Michael Trapp

The ‘Roman’ bath, though not the buildings over it, dates from the early seventeenth century. The Watch House, once belonging to St Clement Danes, looks early nineteenth century in its present form, but there are documents to show that there was a building of this shape (projecting over the Lane) already in 1724, and a St Clement Danes Watch House on the Lane already in 1607.  The patch of brickwork at bottom left, directly under the Watch House outer wall, is seventeenth century and the last bit of the old Somerset House still visible above ground level.

Leave a reply

Be the first to comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz